Parents and Carers
Instrumental Music Program for Parents and Visitors
The first and most important statement to make clear is that the Instrumental Music Program does not run school bands.
The Instrumental Music Program operates Instrumental Music classes in 52 ACT Education Directorate primary schools and 4 secondary schools across the ACT. For a full list of associated schools click here.
The Instrumental Music classes (band) have a maximum class size of 22 students. For the process used for selecting students please click here. Instrumental Music classes (recorder) have a maximum class size of 25 students. See recorder page for more details.
There are documents available that may be of interest if you want to find out details of the Program's operation.
- The first is the snapshot looking at the mechanics of the program. The ACT Directorate of Education's Instrumental Music Program snapshot.doc(135KB)
- The next document is the - Notes for Parents - as issued at meetings at the beginning of the band year. Notes for Parents (doc1.6 MB)
- Looking to find out a little about the history of the IMP - try the Background and Rationale Paper.doc (95.0 KB)
- Also - looking for other bands/ensembles/choirs for your student to join in ACT community - community music groups
- Music and the brain - brochure.pdf (270.8 KB)
|Students in IMP Programs - over 2300 ACT public school students|
|Schools in IMP Programs - 52 primary schools, 4 high schools|
|Staff - 9 teaching staff, 1 admin officer as well as 1 Executive Teacher, 1 Executive Teacher - Limelight & 1 Principal|
|System Bands - 4 after hours extension groups plus a flute ensemble, percussion ensemble, choir & jazz band|
Non band programs - Recorder (2) and Ukulele (4)
Instruments - 2800 at last count
|Band Scores - 2500 at last count|